Should homeworks be banned? This question bothers many students. Of course, most students will quickly say that it should, without doubt, be banned. Most teachers, on the other hand, will surely jump to defend homeworks. Of course, there are also many students who see the pros of homeworks. Any way you take it, homework is here to stay. However, there is nothing wrong in discussing its benefits and its adverse effects on students.
Homework is an important part of being successful inside and outside of the classroom, but too much of it can actually have the opposite effect. Students who spend too much time on homeworks are not always able to meet other needs, like being physically and socially active.
Reasons homework should be banned.
- Down Time at Home
2 hours of homework is a punishment after sitting 6 hours in class. Going outside, dedicating time to friends, attending hobby clubs, helping parents, and, yes, watching TV and playing games make kids feel kids. Teachers should provide them with more free time.
- Irrelevant Content
Homework should be banned if it does not have anything to do with the topic or studied subject. It is not ethical to assign tasks that students did not cover in class and expect to get excellent papers.
- Homework has little educational worth.
Homework has little educational worth and adds nothing to the time spent in school. Some schools and some countries don’t bother with homework at all, and their results do not seem to suffer from it.
- Does little to develop good study skills.
Setting homework does little to develop good study skills. It is hard to check whether the homework students produce is really their own. Some students have always copied off others or get their parents to help them.
- Homework takes a lot of time up.
Homework takes a lot of time up. Being young is not just about doing school work. It should also about being physically active, doing creative things like music and art, and playing a part in the community. It is also important for young people to build bonds with others, especially family and friends. But homework often squeezes the time available for all these things.
Homework can affect both students’ physical and mental health. According to a study 56 percent of students considered homework a primary source of stress. Too much homework can result in lack of sleep, headaches, exhaustion and weight loss. Excessive homework can also result in poor eating habits, with families choosing fast food as a faster alternative.
Too much homework can affect students’ health, social life and grades. The hours logged in class, and the hours logged on schoolwork can lead to students feeling overwhelmed and unmotivated. Navigating the line between developing learning skills and feeling frustrated can be tricky.
Reasons for homework shouldn’t be banned.
According to a study 70% of students show better academic success thanks to homework they were completing. Consequently, we should not underestimate its benefits and now it is time to focus on the reasons why it should not be banned.
- Home environment can be more productive for some pupils than a classroom one. Not all children are capable of coping with the tension that appears in the classroom because of different reasons: time limits, scolding other students, noise etc.
- Parents have a representation of the things that happen in the classroom. A necessity to do and check homework makes parents more involved in studying. Moreover, it encourages parents to communicate with their children more.
- Homework boosts interaction between students and teachers. Students visit their teachers and clear their doubts regarding the homework.
- Not all the information is grasped by students at the lessons in the classroom, they need additional practice. Sometimes the obligation to repeat the material learnt during the lesson contributes to its better memorizing and understanding.
- It teaches students responsibility. When they are given assignments on a regular basis, they raise responsibility, punctuality, and executivity.
- It leads to the development of positive study skills and it would tend to help them in the future for the rest of their working life
Students always tend to run away from homework. It might be the burden after all the other school work like essays, assignments and projects that they need to do so any work after that related to studies seems quite touch and boring to them. But one cannot deny the usefulness of homework. It is needed as students are needed to practice whatever they have learnt in school. If they don’t cover them at least once after coming back from school then they would forget the entire work.